Welcome to the community forums for Theopenem. All responses are provided by other users that wish to help out. Theopenem will not respond to these posts. If you require more assistance than what the community can provide, we offer various paid support options.

Unhappy CloneDeploy User + Constructive Criticism

• On the website of CloneDeploy it says

Theopenem simply expands upon CloneDeploy while still being free and open source

That is kind of an overstatement, is it not?

1. "simply". Simple would have been if you implemented the name change as part of an upgrade. Instead, I need to completely reinstall from scratch and then dreadfully migrate all images, just to have the same product?. Why did you not consider an upgrade path that migrates all images from CD to theopenem? Are all CD users supposed to figure this one out on their own? Not simple.

2. "expands". How did you expand the project by removing support for Linux hosting environments and providing less detailed documentation?

This move really bugs me because CloneDeploy used to be an awesome FOSS project and the only viable one besides FOG.
    Now I regret not choosing a different, commercial product with real long-term support, because I'm stuck with an old un-maintainable server which I need to migrate away from.

By axing CloneDeploy you demonstrated that you don't focus on long-term stability in this project, which reduces my likelihood to consider contracting your commercial support for your "new" product.

Thank you for the years of CloneDeploy, but not thank you for this business decision that produces unnecessary workload for every CloneDeploy user.

As constructive criticism, please consider:

• Offering scripts for migrating CD installations to theopenem. Un-break your upgrade path.
    • Implement proper Linux server support.
    • Ensure a stable upgrade path between versions, favorably in the form of continious integration via Docker images.

With Kind Regards

• I need to completely reinstall from scratch and then dreadfully migrate all images, just to have the same product

This is actually a "simple" process. It takes 20 minutes to install Theopenem and migrating the images is as simple as copying from one folder and pasting into another. Also, it is not the same product. CloneDeploy is discontinued.

Are all CD users supposed to figure this one out on their own?

I have provided free support on these forums for anyone that needed help migrating the images. If you search these forums you would find that info out.

"expands". How did you expand the project by removing support for Linux hosting environments and providing less detailed documentation?

Theopenem provides a significant amount of new features over CloneDeploy. If you don't use those features, that doesn't make the statement false. There is a bug with Mono on Linux that I opened up a ticket on Github in 2019, that they still have not resolved. That removes the ability to install on Linux.
    https://github.com/mono/mono/issues/13298

By axing CloneDeploy you demonstrated that you don't focus on long-term stability in this project

It's actually the complete opposite. Every decision I've made was done to keep the components of CloneDeploy alive. CloneDeploy(Previously CrucibleWDS) has been around for 12 years. I would argue that already suggests long-term stability. By moving the components of CloneDeploy into Theopenem, I am now contractually obligated to keep developing the software while I have paying customers. These changes ensure that I will keep the development of Theopenem moving forward.

Offering scripts for migrating CD installations to theopenem. Un-break your upgrade path.

Implement proper Linux server support.

Ensure a stable upgrade path between versions, favorably in the form of continious integration via Docker images.

Upgrade scripts are unlikely to be offered, as I suggested earlier, migration is very "simple"
    Linux / Docker support is not happening:

1.) Very few of my users actually installed on Linux or Docker
    2.) The Mono bug I mentioned earlier, still is not resolved after 3 years, suggesting that it never will be
    3.) CloneDeploy used to be offered on Windows, Linux, FreeNAS, and Docker. The end result was, that it removed my ability to provide bug fixes / new features because I spent all of my time fighting to keep it working across many platforms. I just don't have that kind of time any more. Now I focus my energy providing what the majority of my users want.