Welcome to the community forums for Theopenem. All responses are provided by other users that wish to help out. Theopenem will not respond to these posts. If you require more assistance than what the community can provide, we offer various paid support options.

PXE Boot - DHCP Timeout - works with WDS

• Hello

So I found this beautiful piece of software, and I have been trying to get PXE boot to work, with no luck.

I followed the videos on YT and have been able to both connect a computer and use software deployment etc.

The main reason, I want to use this software is because it has feedback / check-ins from computers, and this I like very much.

My small network setup consists of a Router, 8 port switch. a Windows 2019 server and 3 dummy computers.

Sadly neither have been able to work with PXE boot through TheOpenEM. However when I installed WDS to test with, it worked just fine.

What am I Doing wrong here?

• Do you still have WDS active? That can cause problems. WDS uses a proxy which can remain active. Did you set option 66 and 67?

• @theopenem_admin

Thanks for replying. I should have been more clear in my explanation surrounding WDS. I only installed it after to check to see if I was being an idiot, because it seemed so easy in your YT vids.

WDS will be uninstalled on my test setup again and I will recheck the guide options again.

• Well I decided to remove my windows server installation and redo all of it. It still sadly doesn't work.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Checking Media Presence.....
    Media Present.....
    Start PXE over IPv4.

Nothing more happens. Doesn't matter which buttons i press, it just times out and goes back to the boot menu.

I have tried this on 3 different machines and its the same thing for all of them.

• What are you using for DHCP? Did you set the correction DHCP options for PXE boot?

• @theopenem_admin

Im using an old d-link router for dhcp, with dns set for the windows server with theopenem on it.

• You need a dhcp server that supports pxe boot. An at home router will not do that. You need an extra piece called a proxy dhcp server. Have you looked at this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=041BeOI6_cc

You can ignore the dhcp settings in the video and just focus on the proxy config.