Welcome to the community forums for Theopenem. All responses are provided by other users that wish to help out. Theopenem will not respond to these posts. If you require more assistance than what the community can provide, we offer various paid support options.

Trouble to install server - Error code 2245

• Hi there,

I'm trying to install toems server because it looks a pretty cool software but it seems it is making some trouble... 😁

The server is a Windows 2019 VM that is joined to a domain. There is no specific configuration, the firewall is off when I deploy a new VM (template) and no security settings is changed from defaults. VM is fully patched (June updates) though.

When I run install, I choose external MS SQL server and specify a path on a second disk but after I while, I get the following error:

28bccf50-b583-4998-991e-4db56a1643ab-image.png

Any idea where to start the troubleshooting? Thanks in advance! 😉

• You should still be able to install even with that error.

• @theopenem_admin

Hi,

So I've tried again (it's a VM, I snapshot it always before any major change/install) but I don't see any trace of the installation...

So no software in add/remove panel, no extra folder created (Program Files, Program Files x86, the Local Storage folder)

It seems it roll everything back prior giving this error. IIS Role seems to be installed though.

Is there any log remaining somewhere?

• PS: I'm wondering what is the justification for having Notepad++ appearing on my server after the installation... 🙄

• You won't see anything installed. It's just an IIS web application. There are config files that need edited and people were having trouble using regular notepad, that's why Notepad++ is installed. It can be removed.

• @theopenem_admin said in Trouble to install server - Error code 2245:

You won't see anything installed. It's just an IIS web application. There are config files that need edited and people were having trouble using regular notepad, that's why Notepad++ is installed. It can be removed.

Hi,

Took me a while to find the time to test it again, sorry for that.

Well, I've tried again and after installation, I can see the default IIS website, but nothing else to continue the installation/configuration. I've also noticed the data folder has not been created. So I don't know what is wrong.

Where can I start looking? 😊

PS: Server is a fully patched Windows 2019 VM. Normally I use CIS hardening standards but I tried without, just to be sure. It didn't change anything.

• @theopenem_admin Hi there,

A few months and a few versions later, I decided to give it another try... Now it's MySQL but that's OK but the same error remains, even on a Win 2022 server.

Any chance you help me troubleshooting that ? Where can I find installation logs?

Thx in advance 😊

• Have you tried installing it before you join your domain?

For an install log, you just need to do standard msi logging. run it from a cmd prompt.

msiexec /i Theopenem-1.5.5.msi /l*v install.log

• @theopenem_admin

Hi there,

Thanks a loooooot, with the logs, I was able to figure that out! 😊

In fact the error message was pretty explicit but because I force at the top domain level passwords with 14 characters long, the installation was not able to create the user because the password was not long/complex enough...

But now we have to speak about it... do you have any future plan to avoid using local users and weak passwords? 😇
    (or said in another way: use service accounts with strong passwords)

• @ehretic
    I can extend the password length, but that account is not doing much. It doesn't have admin privileges and is only used to keep the API active so background tasks can run at night. The program will still function without that account.

• @theopenem_admin said in Trouble to install server - Error code 2245:

@ehretic
    I can extend the password length, but that account is not doing much. It doesn't have admin privileges and is only used to keep the API active so background tasks can run at night. The program will still function without that account.

Hi,

If the user's password is the one I saw in the logs, then I might suggest to create generated ones on the fly if possible because a local user, even with little privileges, can always be used for escalation someday and this one will be known eventually.

I moving forward now, can't wait to play around with Theopenem! 😊

• It is auto generated during install. There are a couple placeholders in the installation, that being one of them, it is overwritten by the password generator.

• @theopenem_admin I am getting the same error message. I also have a domain joined WIndows 2019 server I am trying to install it on. install.log

• Install it before you join the domain..

• @theopenem_admin Easy for you to say. I can't take the server off the domain just to install a piece of software.