Welcome to the community forums for Theopenem. All responses are provided by other users that wish to help out. Theopenem will not respond to these posts. If you require more assistance than what the community can provide, we offer various paid support options.

• Thanks for pointing out this video, it's not listed and I forgot to check the channel directly.

I suspect being attached to IIS is a contributing factor in Theopenem's popularity. Running Windows Server costs a lot of money and is not the most efficient utilization of server resources, while running a critical service on a user facing edition of Windows 10+ subjects you to mandatory periodic updates. As far as I can tell containers are the direction everything is headed in and platform agnostic containers open up the potential for cloud hosting, though I don't know exactly how far of a reach that is.

This is getting into feedback, but I really do think that opening up the platform and hosting options could alter the nature of Theopenem's popularity. I'm going to go take notes on that video now, thanks again.

• @tyler
    I agree it would be nice. When Theopenem was CloneDeploy and I supported both Windows and Linux it just became too much to support as each OS had their own issues and about 90% of my users were installing on Windows anyway. I haven't ruled out the move completely but I don't believe that imaging / management will be needed for too much longer into the future anyway, but I guess we'll see.

• Also, I'm just an old school kinda guy. Not really interested in containers or newer tech.

• The industry I work in will always need imaging, I don't really use the management part, you may be right about that. Theopenem is the only solution I have found that is actually good at imaging in large quantities, everything else is single user solutions maybe with a hack that lets them scale a tiny bit.

• Is there a code sheet for verifydb?

It's giving me "5"

• 5 is fine, really any number other than an error message. It's just your checkin time.

• What is the format for Storage Path with local storage? I don't have the default value anymore

I have the iSCSI target mounted as D:\ and this target is just for Theopenem

• It would just be d:\ then.

• Alright so,

Since storage location is configured globally I'm taking the old server down until I retrofit it to an iSCSI target (and install the recent update)

I have:

• copied the database over as discussed
    • Configured the Theopenem sites on the new server
    • Set Storage Type Local, Storage Path D:\
    • Disabled the sites in the old server's IIS
    • Configured the Com Server entry
    • Added it to the default cluster
    • Removed the old server from the default cluster

When I go to the Dashboard, it takes 20+ seconds to load, and the whole site locks up

When the dashboard loads, there's nothing listed there.

This feels like something is wrong, but I don't actually know that

• Did you give IIS permissions to the local storage?

• I matched the permissions on C:\toems_local_storage, no change, is there somewhere in IIS I have to configure permissions as well?

• Definitely seems related to storage location. Anything in the application log?

• @theopenem_admin Just spent a while finding my own mistakes, so now I do have the new server listed correctly on the dashboard and the dashboard loads promptly. I have cleared up a lot of errors, but I'm still getting this one when the dashboard is loaded

FrontEnd.log

2024-03-06 11:53:16,772 [9] ERROR Toems_ApiCalls.ApiRequest Response Data Was Null For Resource: FileSystem/GetSMBFreeSpace/

I suspect something is still configured to think about SMB?
    Maybe I'll find it as I regenerate WIE.

ClientAPI.log and Application.log are no longer accruing errors.

This is already solved but for future problem havers, I was getting:

2024-03-06 10:29:21,042 [44] ERROR Toems_ApiCalls.ApiRequest Could Not Complete API Request. The Response Produced An Error.Storage/GetFreeSpace
    2024-03-06 10:29:21,074 [44] ERROR Toems_ApiCalls.ApiRequest

{
    	"Message":"An error has occurred.",
    	"ExceptionMessage":"One or more errors occurred.",
    	"ExceptionType":"System.AggregateException",
    	"StackTrace":"
    		at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification)
    		at Toems_ClientApi.Controllers.Authorization.InterComAuth.AuthenticateAsync(HttpAuthenticationContext context, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    		at System.Web.Http.Controllers.AuthenticationFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__5.MoveNext()
    		--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
    		at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
    		at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    		at System.Web.Http.Dispatcher.HttpControllerDispatcher.<SendAsync>d__15.MoveNext()",
    	"InnerException":
    	{
    		"ExceptionMessage":"An error occurred accessing the database. This usually means that the connection to the database failed. Check that the connection string is correct and that the appropriate DbContext constructor is being used to specify it or find it in the application's config file. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=386386 for information on DbContext and connections. See the inner exception for details of the failure.",
    	"ExceptionType":"System.Data.Entity.Core.ProviderIncompatibleException",
    		at System.Data.Entity.Utilities.DbProviderServicesExtensions.GetProviderManifestTokenChecked(DbProviderServices providerServices, DbConnection connection)
    		at System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary`2.GetOrAdd(TKey key, Func`2 valueFactory)
    		at System.Data.Entity.Utilities.DbConnectionExtensions.GetProviderInfo(DbConnection connection, DbProviderManifest& providerManifest)
    		at System.Data.Entity.DbModelBuilder.Build(DbConnection providerConnection)
    		at System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalContext.CreateModel(LazyInternalContext internalContext)
    		at System.Data.Entity.Internal.RetryLazy`2.GetValue(TInput input)
    		at System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalContext.InitializeContext()
    		at System.Data.Entity.Internal.InternalContext.Initialize()
    		at System.Data.Entity.Internal.InternalContext.GetEntitySetAndBaseTypeForType(Type entityType)
    		at System.Data.Entity.Internal.Linq.InternalSet`1.Initialize()
    		at System.Data.Entity.Internal.Linq.InternalSet`1.get_InternalContext()
    		at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DbQuery`1.System.Linq.IQueryable.get_Provider()
    		at System.Linq.Queryable.Where[TSource](IQueryable`1 source, Expression`1 predicate)
    		at Toems_DataModel.GenericRepository`1.GetFirstOrDefault(Expression`1 filter, Func`2 orderBy)
    		at Toems_Service.Entity.ServiceSetting.GetSetting(String settingName)
    		at Toems_Service.Entity.ServiceSetting.GetSettingValue(String settingName)
    		at Toems_ClientApi.Controllers.Authorization.InterComAuth.<isValidRequest>d__9.MoveNext()",
    	"InnerException":
    	{
    		"ExceptionMessage":"The provider did not return a ProviderManifestToken string.",
    		"ExceptionType":"System.Data.Entity.Core.ProviderIncompatibleException",
    			at System.Data.Entity.Core.Common.DbProviderServices.GetProviderManifestToken(DbConnection connection)
    			at System.Data.Entity.Utilities.DbProviderServicesExtensions.GetProviderManifestTokenChecked(DbProviderServices providerServices, DbConnection connection)",
    		"InnerException":
    		{
    			"ExceptionMessage":"Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts.",
    			"ExceptionType":"MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException",
    				at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.NativeDriver.Open()
    				at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.Driver.Open()
    				at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.Driver.Create(MySqlConnectionStringBuilder settings)
    				at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlPool.CreateNewPooledConnection()
    				at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlPool.GetPooledConnection()
    				at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlPool.TryToGetDriver()
    				at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlPool.GetConnection()
    				at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlConnection.Open()
    				at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlProviderServices.GetDbProviderManifestToken(DbConnection connection)
    				at System.Data.Entity.Core.Common.DbProviderServices.GetProviderManifestToken(DbConnection connection)",
    			"InnerException":
    				{
    				"ExceptionMessage":"No such host is known",
    				"ExceptionType":"System.Net.Sockets.SocketException",
    					at System.Net.Dns.GetAddrInfo(String name)
    					at System.Net.Dns.InternalGetHostByName(String hostName, Boolean includeIPv6)
    					at System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry(String hostNameOrAddress)
    					at MySql.Data.Common.MyNetworkStream.CreateStream(MySqlConnectionStringBuilder settings, Boolean unix)
    					at MySql.Data.Common.StreamCreator.GetStream(MySqlConnectionStringBuilder settings)
    					at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.NativeDriver.Open()"
    				}
    			}
    		}
    	}
    }
    2024-03-06 10:29:21,074 [44] ERROR Toems_Service.Workflows.ComServerFreeSpace Com server returned null for status. Check your com server URL!

The problem was that in toec-api\web.config I had pasted incorrectly and had connectionString="server=server=localhost; [...], this kind of error is hard for my eyes to pick up on.

There was also an interim error where an entire html page was dumped in the logs saying the com server's credentials were not authorized to connect from that host, I'll need to go in HeidiSQL and add a GRANT when the next server is coming up.

Tangent on that, for MariaDB, do you recommend sticking with the root account for all servers, or setting different credentials for each server?

• If it's the only database that's running on there, then it really doesn't matter.