Welcome to the community forums for Theopenem. All responses are provided by other users that wish to help out. Theopenem will not respond to these posts. If you require more assistance than what the community can provide, we offer various paid support options.

ClientImaging web service not functioning

• There are several problems with this install, but the major one I need help with is that the pxe boot image returns the above error. It says it cannot contact theopenem server, then says the clientimaging web service is not functioning, try typing test in a web browser (error text from memory, something similar to the above). I can't find anything in the log files about that error and I can't find anything in the documentation about testing it. I saw something about testing the api's and it should display "60" in the browser, and those all passed.

Installed on Server 2016, I had to run the database on port 13306 as mysql was already installed and we do not have the root password and don't want to change it in case the other software needs it.

Other problems: There was no config file for pxelinux (pxelinux.cfg/default) and the ui didn't seem to create the boot files correctly. I had to create the file manually and was able to get it to boot over the network, but with the above error.

The scheduled task was not created because the toemskeepalive user was not created due to the password not being acceptable to the password requirements on the server. I created the user myself and the install gave an error that it couldn't create the task because the password for the user was incorrect. I can't import the task because I can't find the xml file anywhere.

Right now, I would simply like to be able to create an image and deploy it.

• You are probably running into issues because you are sharing the server. It should have it's own dedicated machine, physical or virtual, even a spare desktop would work fine.

• CloneDeploy worked on a similar setup without issue.

• Is the booted linux trying to connect to the database on port 3306 and that's why it's having problems, or is there a service that it can't reach that needs to be turned on or allowed in the firewall? What is the test that it tells me to run?

Saying it needs to be on a dedicated pc is not an acceptable answer. Tell me how to get past this obstacle on this pc.

• I'm sorry your having trouble getting this setup properly. We have support plans available if you need further assistance.

• @theopenem_admin Wow........

• How else would you expect me to react? Your previous post is are uncalled for. This is free software, you should show more respect and not demand things.

Saying it needs to be on a dedicated pc is not an acceptable answer. Tell me how to get past this obstacle on this pc.

An attitude lilke this won't get you far. If your ready to be more respectful, I can try and help you, otherwise, so long and good luck.

• What would I expect?

I would expect someone who writes software to try and get as much information about something that is going wrong with their software so as to be able to fix it. I wanted to let you know about all of the problems I had with this to help you fix the bugs so your product could be better. I love clonedeploy and wanted to love this and help it be better, but you seem more interested in selling me support than making your product better.

So, if you decide to help or not, that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'll go look elsewhere for something that meets my needs. I love the opensource community and want to help it grow, but not with people who aren't interested in building the community.

• @jabeavers said in ClientImaging web service not functioning:

Is the booted linux trying to connect to the database on port 3306 and that's why it's having problems, or is there a service that it can't reach that needs to be turned on or allowed in the firewall? What is the test that it tells me to run?

It doesn't matter what database the port runs on. The imaging client is not connecting to the database, just the api. When your imaging client fails to contact the server, there is a message asking you to try and connect with a url from your web browser. What do you get if you try that?

• @theopenem_admin I don't know what url to try, as the message does not say. Can you supply the url to try for testing?

Thanks.

• It's different for everyone. Can you post a screenshot of the error, perhaps I'm not following where things are going wrong?

• @theopenem_admin I'm not on campus right now, so I can't supply a screenshot.

Could it be a blocked port in a firewall? I remember a testing url in your documentation for testing that would return "60". Should I try that url from the computer I'm trying to network boot?

• It's most likely an issue with your pxe boot files. You say you generated them yourself, they are probably missing some parameters. The better option be would be to determine why they aren't generating. You would need to supply all of the server logs as mention here.
    https://docs.theopenem.com/tutorials/logs/

• @theopenem_admin Okay. I will when I am able.

Thank you.

• Application.log

Here's the application log. It says something about the boot menu....

• This is going to be difficult to troubleshoot, since it didn't even install properly. When you generate the boot menus is the kernel dropdown populated or empty?

• @theopenem_admin the kernel dropdown is populated. At first, when I tried downloading new kernels it failed, but when I set the correct com unique ID it worked and I can see the kernel it downloaded in the correct directory.

• Have you tried using the usb boot method? Does it show a different error, that may help pinpoint the issue.

• @theopenem_admin no, but I will do so now.

Thanks

• I just generated an iso and tried to mount it and Windows said the image is corrupted.