Welcome to the community forums for Theopenem. All responses are provided by other users that wish to help out. Theopenem will not respond to these posts. If you require more assistance than what the community can provide, we offer various paid support options.

How to setup Legacy and UEFI boot?

• Hello all.
    I've setup TheOpenEM, followed the tutorial to the end, up until getting that number 60. So it's setup correctly. But I am stuck at DHCP setup. I know this has to do with setting up both boot options, but I just don't know how. I have mixed environment, we still have legacy boot machines, but we also have new machines which have only UEFI boot and nothing else. Now, I know how to set up to boot either, but is it possible to set up booting both of them? Like, getting the some sort of menu where I can select Legacy or UEFI, and booting into imaging part?
    Server is on separate network, so I am using DHCP server and tftp boot which came with the server installer. Can you point me in the direction where to look?

• I recommend just using a usb boot, but if you need to use pxe then you need to use the proxy dhcp service. Here is a video, proxy starts at about 4:16.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=041BeOI6_cc&t=256s

• @theopenem_admin
    I'd like to set up PXE boot so I don't have to use USB, also, I had problems with USB booting on newest laptops we got, but that USB was made with latest CloneDeploy. I've watched the video, but in video (I guess) you are not using tftpd as DHCP server, so the settings aren't the same.
    I'll try to figure out where I should put the settings there, as TOEM and TFTP and DHCP are on the same machine in my case, as I said, it is separate network, just for imaging purposes.
    Thank you for pointing to the video, I've missed video tutorials entirely 🙂

• To answer my own question, procedure is quite easy:
    Download and unpack Toems Proxy DHCP 1.0.0
    Set TOEM to work with ProxyDHCP, and setup what you would like to boot, which kind of image. Generate boot images.
    In unpacked folder, edit config file and add IP adressess to reflect your installation.
    TFTPD - in GUI for DHCP remove boot file, and under DHCP additional option enter number 60, then "PXEClient"; and restart the service.
    ProxyDHCP starts with toems_dhcp_proxy.exe --debug to stay in command line. You can start it as service with some additional tools.

That worked for me, hopefully for anyone else.

• @itisljar What do you mean by "TFTPD - in GUI for DHCP remove boot file, and under DHCP additional option enter number 60, then "PXEClient"; and restart the service."?

• @bench What it says - in TFTPD GUI go to DHCP tab and change options as I wrote.

• @itisljar sorry for being obtuse. i was able to figure it out and it still doesn't work

• Can you layout your environment / network and explain how things are currently setup, so we can focus on what needs changed?

• @theopenem_admin Its a simple network, all devices are connected through a router. When i try to pxe boot the toems_dhcp rejects the clients request

• What are you using for dhcp? Any screenshots / videos of the error would be helpful.