Welcome to the community forums for Theopenem. All responses are provided by other users that wish to help out. Theopenem will not respond to these posts. If you require more assistance than what the community can provide, we offer various paid support options.

New Laptops: LIE Boot Issues

• We recently purchased bunch of Dell Latitude and Precision laptops that we're having trouble imaging. They are all set to AHCI/NVMe and Security Boot Disabled.

I've tried multiple USBs with different Kernels (4.20.10 to 5.17.3) and with "Secure Boot Support" disabled, but all result in the solid cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen.
    Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 11.21.15 AM.png

Using an old USB (Kernel 5.11.10x64), I get stuck with the following message:

Could Not Contact Theopenem Server. Possible Reasons:
    The ClientImaging Web Service I Not Functioning.
    Try Entering http://10.28.10.45:8888/clientimaging/Test In A Web Browser.
    A Driver Could Not Be Found For This NIC.
    The Computer Did Not Receive An Ip Address.
    Press Enter To Continue_

• Testing that link in a web browser, I got the message "true."

• I was eventually able to get the computer to image, but I had to use a USB to Ethernet adapter.

Is there a way I can image this computers without using the USB-Ethernet adapter?
    Any ideas why these bootable USB's aren't working?

• The only time I've seen that is when secure boot support is enabled in the LIE. You are certain you had it set to disabled before you generated the LIE?

• @theopenem_admin Yeah. I just used the LIE generator to create a new ISO. Selected Kernel > disabled Secure Boot Support > Generate ISO > Used Rufus to create USB. Laptop boots to USB, I select THEOPENEM, and it just hangs on that solid cursor.

The other computer I got to work using the an old bootable USB will only work with the USB NIC. Onboard Ethernet works, but when booting to the USB, it'll only connect to the imaging server with the USB NIC.

• @shyguyry said in New Laptops: LIE Boot Issues:

@theopenem_admin Yeah. I just used the LIE generator to create a new ISO. Selected Kernel > disabled Secure Boot Support > Generate ISO > Used Rufus to create USB. Laptop boots to USB, I select THEOPENEM, and it just hangs on that solid cursor.

The other computer I got to work using the an old bootable USB will only work with the USB NIC. Onboard Ethernet works, but when booting to the USB, it'll only connect to the imaging server with the USB NIC.

In addition to this issue, I'm also noticing that if I do not log in fast enough or get through the other menus quickly, they keyboard stops responding and we have to restart the computer. It's happened with 3 different laptops.

... It's only these new laptops. All our other computers have no issues with the USB's, finding the NIC, or anything.

• What model is it? It probably needs a newer kernel and shim. I haven't done much work with the LIE lately, have you tried using the WIE?

• @theopenem_admin Dell Latitude 53400, 5440, 5540, and Precision 5570. All are the latest Gen. There is definitely something different with these newer ones (I purchased a bunch of laptops and AIOs last year and had no issues with our LIE USBs).

We have not tried WIE yet. I'll have to get that all setup.